If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Kirsten gets lost in Rotterdam

So, I had absolutely no intention of writing an entry today but I have a story so here we go.So basically I was trying to get to the grocery store and my landlady, Anna, had given me directions as to how to get there by going around a small man made lake instead of taking a main road because the main roads can sometimes be dangerous for walking. So I started out following her directions which took me deep into the woods around the lake. By the time I realized that the shops were on the complete other side of the lake I was already half way around so I kept going ocassionally asking for directions along the way. I also ran into a man with a three month old Beagle Puppy that was oh so cute. After having been walking for about an hour two elderly people who had been following a similar path to mine asked if I was lost and when I answered yes and they realised I wasn't from around these parts the woman proceeded to tell me about some time that she spent in Canada, about 4 years in the 60's or 70's but then when I told her that I was from Canada she became really excited and they offered me a ride to the grocery store. Fortunately I was able to offer them a Canada magnet that I had in my bag.
Once I was done at the grocery store I took something like the correct route home and ran into these Geese who looked friendly from a distance but quickly started to charge at me as soon as I got too close. I think they may have had babies close by, there are a lot of baby birds around right now, particularly water fowl. Also on the topic of birds, every morning I wake up to a God damned duck quacking at 6 o'clock in the morning, but I think that duck better watch it or he's going to get eaten.
Finally to the right you'll see a picture of Anna's cat Tigger. Tigger is quite the character. He likes being patted, but not held and he spends a good portion of his time sleeping and gets irritated if anyone wakes him. Last night in the middle of the night I woke up to Tigger crying outside my door which Anna later explained to me as the cat was trying to get into her room but the door was closed. Well I just came upstairs to impart this little story and closed my study door behind me only to hear tigger meowing behind it, so of course I had to open the door and now he is sitting on my desk cleaning himself and sleeping.
Tomorrow I will upload some stories about international student orientation.
Cheers!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

needs more 6 toed cat.


1/2 cup Sour Cherry Preserves

1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns

2 whole boneless duck breasts(about 1 pound each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 ounces red cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved

4 red plums, pitted and cut into eighths

5 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme

1 cup ruby port

Preheat oven to 500°. Place sour-cherry preserves in a food processor, and puree. Transfer purée to a small bowl, and set aside. Place peppercorns on a clean cutting board. Using the flat side of a heavy knife, press down on peppercorns until they are coarsely crushed, and set aside.

2. Cut both duck breasts in half, and trim away any excess fat, leaving the skin attached to the breasts. Season both sides of duck breasts with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon puréed preserves on the flesh side of each breast; sprinkle with half of the crushed peppercorns.

3. Place duck breasts, flesh side down, in a medium oven-proof skillet. Spread 1 tablespoon puréed preserves on skin side of each breast; sprinkle with remaining crushed peppercorns. Place skillet in oven; roast until medium rare, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven; set aside in a warm place.

4. Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cherries, plums, sugar, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Add port. Strike a match, and carefully ignite port; cook until flame dies out. Add vinegar, and cook until juices thicken, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

7:50 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

You kill me.

7:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home