If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Adventuring in Rotterdam

So I lied, I said that I'd post something about Monday on Monday, and I didn't and now it's Thursday and oh well. So both a lot and very little have happened in the past 3 Days so here goes nothing.

~School~
Monday was the first day of Orientation for the exchange students in Social Sciences, History and Arts and it involved a lot of bureaucratic droaning but aside from that there were plenty of people to meet, a campus tour to be seen and beer to be drunk. I've decided that I like white beer because, well it d
oesn't really taste like Hieniken or any other beer really, so yes.
On Tuesday it seemed that there were more opportunities to meet other exchange students as we had our tour of the library and then went for tea (on in my case Pepsi Light) and Dutch sweets. In this setting it was much easier to interact with people and make new friends. I was invited to go out with some other exchanged students on Tuesday night to a Jazz club named Dizzy. It took us a fair bit of time to find Dizzy and by the time we arrived the club was packed and the concert was almost over. The picture to the left is a picture of everyone on their way to Dizzy. I did find a few cool things on the way to Dizzy however, a bag store called Crumpler which is fairly famous, a very expensive Piano store with Steinways and a White Grand Piano (!!!) and we also walked through the area with all of the coffee shops (not that I'll ever be needing one of those). Anyway it was very interesting.
Yesterday was registration for classes which was kind of late as classes started on Monday but whatever, I thought everything went fine at the time and I had my first class called Sociology in the Trenches of Cyberspace, which is actually far more interesting than it sounds.
The reason I say I thought everything went fine was because I didn't realize untill today that I had a class which I need to take which starts in November which conflicts with one of my law courses which runs from September to December, so I had to drop the law cours and am now waiting for an e-mail from the Carleton registrar to help me pick a new course FAST.

~Weather~
The weather here still really amazes me. One minute it will be totally cloudy, the next minute it will be sunny and the next minute it will be pouring rain. One day it will be warm and the next it will be cold. The only aspect of the weather which seems to be consistent is the humidity and that's bloody annoying because it makes me sweat all the time.

~Other Stuff~
On Tuesday I went downtown, trying to find a bike or a cellphone and instead I found a bunch of people trying to stiff a foreigner. The used bike vendor refused to bargain with me most likely because I wasn't speaking Dutch and everytime I would ask for a triband cellphone someone would give me a song and dance about the most expensive cell phone they had and then when I'd ask for a less expensive one they 'wouldn't understand'. Oh well I'll get the stuff I need eventually.

Today I got my stitches taken out and I also went for a run. I also did some exploring which was fun.

Anyway I'm all tuckered out. Stay tuned for the next edition called Kirsten figures out her coursees!
- Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home