If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Mayonaise on my French Fries...

~Bike Tour~
Yesterday I went on a Bike tour of Rotterdam with the other exchange Students from the Sociology, History and Arts departments. It was very nice I got to see a lot of Rotterdam which I hadn't seen before BUT the bicycles we were riding on were really ghetto and had pedal breaks instead of hand breaks. Well we were up in the cube houses (which you can see some of on the left, and more of in other entries) and there was a very steep incline on the way out. Well we were all trying to navigate this incline and I was going to fast so I tried breaking and that didn't slow me down enough so me, being the idiot that I am take my feet off the breaks and try to stop with my feet, but because I'm so short my feet barely touch the ground on the bicycles. So in the end I ended up half crashing into two other bikes and almost falling over a balcony to my death, but alas I live another day.
~Sushi~
After nearly killing myself Shelly (another Carleton Student) and I were walking towards the tram line and we found this really authentic sushibar with the sushi going around on a conveyor belt. I tried some suhi I had never had before and it was very good, and it was very exciting to find such an authentic Japanese restraunt fairly close by.

~Party~
After Sushi I attended a party at International House where a lot of the exchange students live. This was really my first encounter with drug use at Rotterdam as a lot of the atendees of the party were smoking marijuana or Hash. Of course I did not partake but I went home smelling like smoke it was really quite disgusting. I actually left the party early as it was boring for me.

~School Trouble~
So I ran into major trouble with my courses at school this week. Pretty much there was a scheduling problem that I was unaware of and also the professor of a Masters course which Carleton approved me for didn't want bachelor students in his class which was very disappointing as it was the course I was really looking forward to. I solved the scheduling problem by taking another course called comparative law which also sounds really interesting as it discusses different legal systems in different countries. However, I haven't quite firgured out what to do about the Masters course yet as I'm waiting for a response to my e-mail, begging the professor to let me be in his class. Oh well, alls well that ends well. I guess...

~Other Stuff~
So I've been trying to buy a bike ever since I've got here which is really proving futile because of how short I am. I know that they make small frame bikes new here but I'm looking for a second hand bike and most of the bikes I've tried I can barely get on no less have two feet firmly planted on the ground. It's getting to the point that I am actually considering buying a Children's bike. I'm going to give it one more try tomorrow or sometime next week I think by going downtown.
The weather has been really nice here for the past couple of days very sunny and warm which does good things for the spirit. Tonight I am supposed to be going out to a pink dot festival which is part of open museum week which somehow involves art and food. Yum
Finally, I've discovered the most delicious thing on Earth, Marzipan, I don't know how to explain it it's so wonderful but I'm going to buy some now so I must be off!

Cheers!




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kirsten,
i've been reading your blog and i must say that everything sounds so cool. i'm glad you seem to be having such an amazing time. just wanted to say that you should keep writing, you have a great way with words.
enjoy the upcoming stuff, try not to miss the canadian cold weather :P

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

Thank you. Sadly I do miss the Canadian, Cold dry weather, but the weather has been really nice here the past week so I've been lucky. Keep reading!

- Kirsten

3:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe lol, I'm from the Netherlands myself :P I was just browsing on google and found this blog :P Very funny to read how foreigners experience this country :P

Bye bye

5:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home