If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Disappointed

So for a while there my blog had been a place of sanity for me, somewhere that I could express my feelings and tell about my experiences. However, on Wednesday night, after returning to my room from Concordia to find quite a nasty e-mail from my former land lady demanding that I remove her name from my last post, in which I didn't in fact say anything negative about her but that I was glad that I was not living with her, and to be honest I'd imagine she feels the same way. To be fair to her, my blog was comming up if you typed her name onto google, so I did remove her name, however, I still find it ironic that someone who's profession is based on the freedoms of speech and conscience would be so quick to deny it to someone who's writing is contrary to their purposes. I find the entire situation discouraging and regretable.
I will continue to blog, but for the moment I feel stifled.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Please don't feel stifled,
because your blog is a source of pleasure for me and for others,I'm sure.

6:27 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

I'm sure it will pass in a few days

4:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, don't stop posting dear. You know you were right.

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't stop the blog. One on principle alone, you need to fight for your rights!! (and not only the one to party) Also second I enjoy the blog, it keeps me up to date on what is going on with you so far away. Plus when she sent you a nasty email did you ask her where your Halloween card is???

Jen

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

No no no, I'll keep blogging just it feels difficult at the moment. Lol no my last e-mail was before i realised my card was missing but I'm informing the school.

3:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kirsten,

Long time no talk!
Wow what an abundance of experiences have passed for you these last couple of months - I'm jealous!

It sounds like you're having a marvellous time, and even the negative experiences, although unpleasant at the time, will be worthwhile life lessons, memories and stories to carry with you for the rest of your years.

Please keep up your writing. (I just spent over an hour catching up.)

But let's do catch up in person this December.
Let's make sure we get together this Christmas in Mississauga, ok?

p.s. LOL: I found a tape recording we made of our Grade 12 drama expressionist piece we did with Chris and Thomas.

"MR. SMITH: Cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos, cockatoos.

MRS. SMITH: Such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca, such caca.

MR. MARTIN: Such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas, such cascades of cacas.

MR. SMITH: Dogs have fleas, dogs have fleas.

MRS. MARTIN: Cactus, coccyx! crocus! cockaded! cockroach!

MRS. SMITH: Incasker, you incask us.

MR. MARTIN: I'd rather lay an egg in a box than go and steal an ox.

MRS. MARTIN [opening her mouth very wide]: Ah! oh! ah! oh! Let me gnash my teeth.

MR. SMITH: Crocodile !

MR. MARTIN: Lets go and slap Ulysses.

MR. SMITH: I'm going to live in my cabana among my cacao trees.

MRS. MARTIN: Cacao trees on cacao farms don't bear coconuts, they yield cocoa!"

(Just an excerpt of nonsense and absudity down memory lane)


-Keep on truckin' kiddo. (You're almost through!)

Love and best wishes,

Erin

1:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home