If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Running in Rotterdam

Okay, I really should have done the last two entries in reverse order, but it's cool. Yesterday morning I woke up and went for a run, as I do sometimes, but this was a particularly eventful run so I thought I'd share about it. So as usual I climbed stairs outside in the morning, then went for my run. After running through a residential neighbourhood I generally graduate to running on the bike path as running on the cobblestone side walks tends to be bad for the ankles. Up untill now this has never really been a problem, untill yesterday when this older man comes up behind me and said something rather humorously in Dutch which I took to be him asking me to move to the side walk so I did. So he pedals up besides me and not only does he have two FULL sattle bags on his bicycle but he wwas also holding a rather hefty briefcase some distance his bike, it was quite amusing to see. (Side note: A couple of days ago I saw a guy talking on his self phone while riding his bike, he falls off, he gets up and is still talking on his cell phone, and then has the nerve to shush me when I went over to ask if he's ok. PFFT.) Anyway so I continued on my run and up ahead on the bike path was a mother and her two small children getting out of their car to go into their house and her younger boy stands at the side of the bike path and starts waving to me as I run towards him, it was really adorable and I said goed morghen to him as I passed. Then the third thing happened a little farther down the way, some really shifty guy who was walking very clumsily down the street which made me think he was on drugs, stopped on the bike path to wait for me (I don't know why) So of course not knowing his intentions I corssed the road to avoid an attempted mugging. I say attempted mugging mainly because I had nothing to steal but also a little because I intend to kick the next person who tries to mug me in the crotch. Yes So... that was running in Rotterdam.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

crazy dutch people.... The crotch kicking seems like a good plan tho.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

thanks :)I will

5:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home