If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

If all the World is a Stage, then Rotterdam is Surely the Character List

So I've been here for a month. And what a crazy and amazing month it's been! I've started classes, made loads of new friends, aclimatized to the humidity (finally), got mugged, travelled, travelled some more, done lots of shopping, felt home sick picked up a bit of Nederlands (Dutch) and ocassionally felt homesick. I am proud of one thing, that I did not get sick for the Entire first month of my living here. Though I already know that's not going to last for October... I'm already comming down with something.
I was thinking about it and I realised that the really remarkable thing about Rotterdam is it's people. Rotterdam doesn't have the same diplomatic feel or archaic buildings as Den Haag and it certainly doesn't have the tourist population and attractions like Amsterdam, it's architecture at time can be unusual like an abstract painting and it's weather at best can be described as moody, but still the remarkable thing here is the people. It seems as though many of the people here have accentuated personalities. If they are something, personality wise, they really ARE that way, and trust me in this city you will find every single personality possible. Take last night, for the first time since I was mugged, I ventured out into the night alone on my way to a party, on my way I encountered a man who may have been on drugs and would start walking towards me very aggressively and then turn away timidly. He made me nervous so I got another random person on the street to walk with me, who was more than happy to do so. He was a student from Amsterdam making his way to a party down the same street as I. But people here are like that, if you need something they help you. At my party last night of course there were exchange students, and well if you know me, you know them too... We also met some Dutch guys at the party who laughed at our inability to speak Dutch. Later on when we had left the party and gone for a club, when I stopped to get a milkshake at Burger King (don't ask) An American, and a German, who must have been in their late thirties, befriended me and asked me to go out with them, obviously I declined, but it was still nice to be asked.
Also everyone here has an opinion, and whether you ask for one or not you get it. It might be a comment on the justice minister, or ethnic tensions between the large Morrocan population and the native Dutch people. There are cab drivers who tell you how much they miss home, and there are men with puppies who inform you that you MUST learn Dutch. And the best part is there is something to be learned from all of them.

Here's to new experiences!
Cheers!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home