If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

2 Months/ My University

So, Given it's been more than a week since my last post, you've likely noticed that from time to time I disappear with no blog entries to be found. Well, contrary to popular belief, it is not in fact because I am off experiencing the brownies of Holland (I really haven't) it is infact that I have piles of school work in front of me and I'm afraid for my academic existence. During these times my clothes get more dirty, my room more a mess, I get circles under my eyes, and, I don't have time to blog. (boo) Well that's what I get for going on exchange to a University with a 40% failure rate.
Sooo, In honour of me having been here for (more than) 2 months, I've decided to enlighten everyone about Erasmus University. The University is located in an area of Rotterdam called Kralinge where some of the oldest remaining houses in the city are to be found. It is a very rich neighbor hood bearing the like of Anna (my former land lady) though it has some shaddy aspects to (like my muggers). The University itself, has a vast array of bike parking lots and the one big car parkinglot seen in the picture above. Much like Carleton Erasmus has a very green campus which makes it quite pleasant to walk through. It also has some very intensive programs, which seem to drive a good deal of the University's student population Mad. The first thing that I noticed about going to school at Erasmus, was that on a whole, the students always go to class very nicely dressed (which is much different from Carleton's anything but naked dress code) But this inspired me to by a pair of leather boots with high heels which I am quite happy with. However, this dress code did not stop me from buying myself an Erasmus sweat shirt, which I wear when I'm studying and I plan to wear around when I'm home.
As for the courses, a great deal of them seem to be centred around economics and international law/relations, which suits my fancy quite nicely. While I'm here I'm taking 6 courses those being: Comparative Law, Introduction to International Law, Advanced Public International Law, Sociology in the Trenches of Cyberspace, Migration aaand Introduction to development economics. I thoroughly enjoy all of my lecturers here, particularly my economics professor (Mainly because he has a job that I want in the World Bank). One thing that I find quite peculiar here is that students often talk during class, without stop and over the proffessors, yet the professors don't usually seemed to be bothered by it. Also I find it quite odd that some classes only have an exam counting as 100% of the mark while others have presentations and massive ammounts of work... I don't get it. But anyway.
As for the student life, there's not much of one, there seem to be very few clubs and societies though many fraternities, though they are different than Canadian fraternities. People generally speak to each other in Dutch, which can make it hard to meet people, and really the only Dutch students I have met are taking my English classes, but I guess it's ok, I'm making friends from lots of other places. Additionally, there are two cafes that sell coffee on campus, and one serves coffee with whipped cream, which delights my taste buds. (I always get the cinnamon sunset)
Also the library is very nice, and has an extensive collection of journals.
So I guess that's it about school, it's not very exciting... One other thing worth mentioning is that I bought a bike on the weekend at the market which you can see in the other two pictures (the market not the bike) I bought the bike, because I saw one of the assholes who mugged me again (How can I find them twice, but not the police?) But anyway I like the bike, it makes me safer, I'm happy... etc.
Also of Importance I am going to Scotland this weekend, to visit Laura from Carleton, so watch for an updated blog about that soon
Cheers!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks kind of strange. I'm not sure why things in europe always look a little strange but they do. The police seem very incompetent. But, I approve of the boots.

12:47 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

mmm maybe my picture taking skills are strange? I don't find it that strange, other than the police being incompetent, it's probably just because I don't matter because I'm a foreigner.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

Yeah actually, we were talking about the fact that most of Europe is Xenophobic in migration class yesterday, maybe that explains it

2:35 AM

 
Blogger Eric Rosenhek said...

Can you bring back those fries? Europeans like big fries.

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

uhhhh, I'll try to erange something ;)

5:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home