If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Friday, December 01, 2006

World AIDS Day

Okay I know I just posted like an hour ago but, I just realised that it was World AIDS day and I wanted to impart some knowledge that I gained here. Ask yourself if you know anyone who has died of AIDS. Probably not, right? When Prof. Hey asked my Advanced Public International Law class, of 80 international students this question, no one's hand went up. She then went on to tell us about a trip to Ghana in which she visited a highschool and was shocked to find pages In Memorial to Students who had died of AIDS in the past year. Shocked she enquired to a school official who informed her that 25% of the School's population had died that year. Why do we continue to ignore this problem when there's so much more that we could be doing to help?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone gave me a hug for aids today. I was think about making a joke that I didn't want to catch the aids from her, but meh I was in a rush.

3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think unfortunatly not that AIDS is not something to be concerned about especially when looking at the problems in poorer countries such as Africa. Though in the developed world AIDS research is going to continue to fall behind those for cancer and heart disease. As ask the hand question in any grade school in Canada would have a class full of hands touched by cancer or heart disease. Therefore just doesn't pull the numbers yet. Unfortunatly I believe AIDS also still carries to much stigma. However Canada has to wake up soon, especially in education of young women, especially women of a visible minority as we are seeing a growing AIDS problem in that segment of the Canadian population.

10:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know a man who died of AIDS - but it was in 1994 when there where very few if any treatments avaliable. He was my choir director at school in grade three. It was so hard to watch someone - even someone I only knew a little bit - waste away like that.

Kristen

10:36 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

You know, it's very difficult to articulate a reply to the comments, but I have read them. I really think that AIDs is really a terrible disease and I don't think there should be such a stigma about it. Also we can't ignore it and only study the dieseases which affect our populations because I think though AIDS isn't prevalent in Canada, that it's prevalence in other countries really does effect us in ways that are hard to understand

4:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home