If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Return Home

Okay so I've been back on Canadian soil for 24 hours now and I'm really having quite a bit of mixed emotions. I should probably elaborate on why I left the Netherlands early, those who were in the Netherlands were aware that about a week ago Sunday one of my muggers followed me home on the tram. I was very worried about my safety at this time so I decided to go into the building across the road from mine to evade the mugger, who was not discrete about following me. At this point several of my family and friends at home indicated they thought that it was a good idea for me to return to Canada as they feared for my safety, however I was very determined to stay. With the support of Carleton and Erasmus Universities I stuck to this decision however I did decide that if I were to see the man who followed me home again, in the vicinity of my apartment building, that I would return back to Canada. Well on Friday night I was leaving my flat to visit someone else within the building when I noticed the mugger, or at least someone who appeared to be the mugger half way down the hall and he started walking towards me. I quickly went back inside and watched through my peep hole as the man came to my room, paused for a moment and then returned the way he came. I quickly called my friend and we searched the building to see if the mugger was still around but he had obviously gone. I did not phone the police as it was obvious from my previous interactions with them that they were not interested in helping me unless I was being physically attacked, although I did report the incident the next day, but as per my earlier decision, I decided that it was in my best interest to return home. So I spent the weekend packing, making arrangements and saying good bye to friends and returned back to Canada on Monday. I will add another post about my return home shortly. But what I would like to say now is that having had some time to reflect on it now, I am delighted to have had the opportunity to go on the Exchange in Rotterdam. Despite the challenges which I faced after being mugged and evicted, I am eternally greatful for the education which I recieved in the Netherlands, I had the opportunity to take courses which were not open to me at Carleton and that have really broadened my horizons. In addition I have made some wonderful new friends who I intend to remain in close contact with far into the future and to eventually visit. I am also delighted to have had the opportunity to experience a new culture and begin to learn a new language. Looking back, this has truly been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. More entries and pictures to follow...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's bullshit!
you were just afraid, rotterdam is a very safety place, which interest had the muggler in you? NONE!

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

You better believe I was afraid, you would be if someone who you knew had a gun was following you around and turning up in your apartment building too. But if it's easier for you to tell yourself that Rotterdam is a safe place, by all means. Next time why don't you be less of a coward and leave your name.

10:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home