If you're reading this, you probably already know that I am Kirsten and that I am going on exchange to the Netherlands for the fall semester of 2006. This blog will document my adventures in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe while I'm away.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Finding My Way Home

So, here is a long promised entry. My next to entries will discuss my experiences on my way home and what life's been like since I've been home. So I'll start with My Trip home.
I made my decision to come home very quickly, obviously under very strenuous circumstances. I hoped to be able to get a flight home on the Tuesday or Wednesday so that I had time to make arrangements with Erasmus, clean my room properly and most importantly say goodbye to all of my friends. However, a snippy British Airways employee informed me that the only flight they could put me on was on the Monday, so I changed my ticket. The next two days were spent saying goodbye to Rotterdam and cleaning my room. Which never ended up being fully cleaned, which I'm sure Stadswonen Appreciated SO MUCH! Oh well.
So early Monday morning I turned my keys in and headed for Central Station, with Hui by my side. Hui so kindly offered to come with me to Schipol for which I am so eternally grateful! On the train I started feeling a little sick, but I attributed it to not having eaten breakfast that Morning. Besides there was a very fine looking young man (sorry Chris) sitting across from Hui and I on the train who talked us all the way to the airport.
Once at the airport I sadly said goodbye to Hui, and made my way through the terminal to my gate. At one point I stopped to buy some Belgian chocolate . At the chocolate store where I stopped there was a very rich American who had alredy racked up a bill of 210 Euros and readily paid for my 10 Euro purchase (which was really nice of him).
My Flight from Schipol to Heathrow was a little bit rocky and after I had eaten my lunch I started feeling more and more sick. Once Landed I had a hot coacoa to pass the time and thing eventually progressed to the point where 30 minutes before my flight departed for Toronto, I vomitted in a trash can by my gate, which did not make the girl sitting next to it very happy!
The Second flight, was less rocky and I spent most of it trying to recover from my illness. On the plus side this relieved me of my fear of flying since I was so worried about getting sick again. I was only a little bit dissapointed because I missed out on the open Bar and Dinner Boo! Coincidentally though, the young man sitting on the plane next to me was from Denmark and hd been an exchange student at U of T and was returning to visit his Canadian girlfriend! (So Sweet!)
Arriving at Pearson Airport there was a suprise waiting for me, my best Childhood friend Karen had come with her mom and was waiting with my mom to welcome me home. We then had Swiss Chalet, and all was right in the world!
Only one other notable thing happened on my way home. On both of my planes, luggage had to be offloaded, on the first one, because the passenger did not make it to the airplane and on the second one because someone had tried to get on with an invalid passport.
As always, Alls well that ends well!
Cheers!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's hard to think of something to write when you've told me the story before. Tho I will note you left out the part about the 'fine' guy when you told me the story......

Meh I'm glad you're home.

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

Hey, I still chose you

11:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you left out my favourite part from when you told me about the flight attendent on your second flight who asked if anything you ate would make you sick, and you pointed out that your only meal was on their other plan, lol

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Kirsten Van Houten said...

that's true, I kind of forgot about that!

9:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home